The movie Frozen has captured the imagination of millions of littlies worldwide so if you are looking for a cool theme for your child's next birthday, why not create Arendelle at home with some Frozen cooking activities. Here are a couple of ideas to dazzle party guests.
Snow peak smoothie (serves 4)
Smoothies are a great way to sneak in those 5+ a day servings! They can also be the perfect party activity as each guest can take turns to add ingredients! Here is a smoothie recipe idea for a Frozen party. The extra touch of blue and white sugar crystals makes this smoothie fit for a Snow Queen or King!
3 cups milk
½ cup frozen pineapple
1 frozen banana
1 tbsp. honey
Handful of blue sugar crystals
Handful of white sugar crystals
bowl of warm water
(Note: sugar crystals can be sourced from your local cake supplies outlet or online at stores like www.cakestuff.co.nz
- Add all ingredients into blender and blitz.
- Put crystals in a small bowl, mix together
- Dip a glass in warm water, then dip in crystal mix
- Pour in smoothie – let the magic commence!
Olaf Cupcakes (makes 12)
Everyone wants a friend like Olaf! So party guests will have fun creating their own fondant Olaf and popping him on a cupcake – although he might be too cute to eat!
First, for the cupcakes. Get the kids baking with this fail-proof cupcake recipe! Whether the birthday girl/boy is aged 4 or 13 this recipe works every time. The secret is to make sure kids only start mixing the liquid ingredients when they have all been added to the flour mixture. Kids might also like to add in a handful of surprise ingredients such as; raisins, chocolate chips, chopped apple, frozen berries etc. Swapping out vanilla essence with an alternative essence is also a great way to get the taste buds going, for example; lemon, raspberry.
2 cups self-raising flour
¾ cup caster sugar
125g butter, softened
¾ cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Line cupcake tray with paper cases.
- Combine flour and caster sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the center. Add milk, butter, eggs and vanilla to flour mixture. Stir gently to combine.
- Spoon mixture into paper cases. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
½ cup butter (softened)
2 cups icing sugar
Approx. 2 tbsp warm water
Food coloring (optional)
- Cream butter then add icing sugar (1 cup at a time), as mixture starts to crumb, add water (1 tbsp at a time) until piping consistency (thick, but spreadable).
- Add color and stir well.
- Spread on cupcakes.
Olaf cupcake topper
This activity is not only magical, but incredibly rewarding as kids mould shapes of fondant to build Olaf. Whilst it takes a little time (20 – 25 minutes), the children will be very proud of the end result.
You will need:
Handy Tip: if Olaf’s body isn’t sticking together brush warm water on fondant and reapply part i.e. eyes etc
- 1 toothpick
- 3 balls of white fondant | 2 large balls, 1 medium ball and 1 tiny square piece for Olaf’s tooth
- Edible eyes or 2 small balls of fondant with 2 chocolate chips for pupils (you can buy edible eyes specialist supplies stores or online at stores such as; www.cakestuff.co.nz, ww.kiwicakes.co.nz)
- Dried mango piece cut into a nose
- 4 liquorice strings
- Handful of chocolate chips
- Scissors / knife / small brush / small dish warm water
A. FOR OLAF’S HEAD
- Roll 1 large ball of fondant into oval shape. Then shape into a teardrop shape by slightly pinching the bottom end in.
- Place eyes near top of head, push nose in under eyes
- Carve wide mouth with knife from left to right of Olaf’s face.
- Place small square fondant piece on mouth for the tooth.
- Stick on eyebrows with small pieces of liquorice.
B. FOR THE REST OF OLAF
- Get 1 large ball of fondant and stick a toothpick in the middle.
- Get the smaller ball of fondant, place it on the toothpick then push it down to attach to other ball.
- Add Olaf’s head to the toothpick. Gently push down to attach it to rest of body.
- For liquorice arms and hair, take 3 liquorice strings, then make 3 cuts at the end of each piece of liquorice.
- Place 2 of the liquorice pieces as arms on sides of his body, then pop third piece on top of his head.
- Finish Olaf by pushing in 3 chocolate chips as buttons.